Pages

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Day Thirteen

Almost time to get going...
I'm not a superstitious person. But when you are spending your days walking across new lands, when a single misstep could send you tumbling into a pool or lava or a dungeon full of skeletons (which there are a lot of lying around, if those Cartograph numbers are to be believed!) it pays to be careful.

 A spider had been scuttling back and forth over my glass ceiling all night, so I decided on a less orthodox exit, by digging into the river.

Teehee.
There we go.
 The water rushed down the shaft I had dug over night, undoubtedly flooding all the torches I had placed down there. Not that it mattered. Not that I would ever return here. I swam out of the camp and started my day.

Fingers crossed...
Directly east was water. I had picked up my workbench without crafting a boat, though, so I followed the land as it crept to the north. 

.
Following the edge of the island north-east.
I came to a shady knoll beside the water. A pig was out splashing around.

This looks nice.
Morning, Aqua Pig!
Continuing east, it looked like I would finally need that boat.

Boat time.
.
It didn't last long. The land closed in around me and even though I could see more ocean ahead, I had to abandon the boat. Or dig a ravine, which I considered briefly, but it didn't seem like a very nomad thing to do.

The grass was flat for a while, but ocean was ever-present just to the south.

.
Then, after crossing a small inlet, the water was to the north as well.

Looking north.
The woods grew thicker as the land grew thinner.

Trees and water.
A big tree, but the land is running out.
Those are fairly sheer cliffs. Doubt I can swim to shore.
Okay. I guess it is boat time again.
Here we go then.
I followed the cliffs for a time until they swung around north. Then I had to hit the ocean proper for a time until several small islands appeared on the horizon.

Islands!
A literal desert island? (looking south)
Another odd island (looking north)
I made landfall on a weird beach that was part sand and part clay.

.
I gathered some sand before leaving. Mostly for glass, but I had another idea too. See, I had been carrying around a fair supply of gunpowder for some time, ever since I took out those five or six creepers last week. With some sand, I could craft some TNT. What on earth would a nomad want with TNT? Well, it could potentially make my brief mining spouts swifter. I could dig down a shaft, place some TNT, and grab any minerals from the resulting cave. Though, without any redstone to remote detonate, it could be a risky business. I'll craft if for now, and decide later if I use it or not.

Anyway, that is still in the future. For now, I left the beach and kept walking. The ground rose gradually up a hill until I came out on a clearing that looked east towards another grand mountain, though one that looked easily passable.

Hills. Hills. Hills.
Oh. Hello there.
Quite friendly looking, as far as mountains go.
As I drew closer, I spied a cavern digging into the hillside. I decided to check it out briefly.

A cavern...
...of grass?
Yep. A grass cavern. Well there you go.
Leaving the fruitless cavern behind, I began to climb. I barely had to dig away any dirt blocks, the hill was gradual and evenly stepped.

Easy going.
And then I reached the top and saw exactly what I was not expecting. I mean, there is little that I could have seen from the top of this mountain that I was expecting less.

Meep. 0_0*
A cloud. Right in front of my face. And look how high up I was! What the heck?! I was dumbstruck. I had no sense of having climbed so high since leaving my boat. This was incredible. The view just went on in every direction. Amazing! The top of this 'hill' was a mere block wide before dropping straight down. Who would have thought such a friendly looking hill could house such a cliff on its opposite side. I tried to creep closer to take a picture looking down the drop and, uh, fell. Fortunately, some way down, was another single-cube ledge. It still hurt, but my armour took most of the damage.

Ow. Thank you, iron armour!
The view from the 'lower' ledge.
Still quite a long way down...
This ledge put me in no better situation than the last. I had no choice from here but to dig my way down to the more gradual slopes. It was slow work, and I had to mine my way through stone part of the way. Once I got to sea level, I looked back at the rear side of the friendly mountain.

No, really. What the heck, hill?!
 Then I saw the cavern. How could I resist the urge to look inside such a bizarre hill? Just quickly. I clambered back up and ducked inside. There was nothing there, sadly, except a tunnel that hooked around to a northern entrance.

The tunnel and its lack of minerals.
I turned back to head at the water, and looked at the sky for the first time for some minutes.

Oh. Is that the moon?
Yes. Yes it is.
I didn't just want to sit in the tunnel all night--mobs would surely flank me from whatever entrance I wasn't guarding. Instead, I dug down into the east-facing entrance. At least there I would see the sun rise.

Not too bad for a spur of the moment camp.
I dug quite deep that night, but I found nothing. No coal, no iron. Just a heap of stone. I considered crafting my TNT, but had already unthinkingly placed all my sand in the furnace to make glass. Whoops! At least I wouldn't be blowing myself up for at least another day.

And that was the thirteenth. Almost fell to my death once, but otherwise a decent day.

That mountain is still blowing my mind, though.

7 comments:

  1. Mountain lacks Guru Pig/Guru Cow... or Guru Creeper

    ReplyDelete
  2. it had aquapig though

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is inspirational stuff! I'm going to go and test out some TNT myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh, just in case you didn't know Brendan, you can hold down shift while walking now and you won't fall off ledges. Good idea for mountaineering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the feeling Guru Pig is following you... aquapig's secretly the same pig. maybe it's your avatar or something...

    ReplyDelete